Please note this is not a formal reporting platform. This platform is a disclosure tool that you can use to disclose unacceptable behaviour. If you provide us with your contact details, then you will receive contact from our team who will offer you support and discuss the next steps that you may wish to take in relation to your disclosure.
 Hate crimes hurt individuals and communities, and reporting it allows the University and the police to better understand and deal with what is happening.  

Hate incidents and hate crime are acts of violence or hostility against a person or property that is motivated by hostility or prejudice towards a person due to a particular characteristic. This could be a disability, race or ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation, transgender identity or an alternative sub-culture. A victim does not have to be a member of the group at which the hostility is targeted. In fact, anyone can be a victim of a hate crime. 

A Hate Incident does not amount to a criminal offence but still causes alarm, distress or harassment to the victim who has been targeted because of their protected characteristics. Like a hate crime, the victim may not actually define themselves as having this characteristic, but it is the perception that they do that makes it a hate incident. 

A Hate Crime is any criminal offence where the victim has been targeted because of their perceived protected characteristics. Protected characteristics include race, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion and belief. The victim does not have to self-identify into any of these groups, but the perception that they do must exist for it to be a considered a hate crime. 

Hate incidents and crimes include bullying, harassment and sexual harassment which are contrary to the Equality Act 2010and the University Diversity and Dignity at Study and Work Policy. Find out more about bullying and harassment(insert the link to the support article)and sexual harassment.(insert link to relevant support article) 

  • Are you in immediate danger? If you are in immediate danger or seriously injured, you can call 999 (or 112 from a mobile).If you're deaf or hard of hearing, use our textphone service 18000 or text us on 999 if you’ve pre-registered with theemergencySMSservice.  
  • Find a safe space. If an incident has just happened, try and find somewhere you feel safe. If you feel unsafe and are on campus, please call Security, who will liaise with emergency on +44(0)2079115000or extension 5555, or alternatively dial 112 from your mobile in an emergency. 
  • Request to Speak to an adviser on Report + Support. An advisor can talk through the University's procedures, inform you on how to make a complaint and let you know what support is available, in confidence. 
  • To a friend. Talking things through with someone you trust can sometimes help.  
  • Report and Support . As a student you can report an incident that you have experienced or witnessed via Report + Support either anonymously, or with your details if you’d like follow up advice or support. 
  • University Procedure. If you choose to make a formal complaint to the University about a student there are procedures which set out the steps, you'll need to follow. 
Third Party  
  • To the Police. If you want to report directly to the police please enter your post code, street address or area on the local police force list here
  • Stop Hate UK. Is one of the leading national organisations working to challenge all forms of Hate Crime and discrimination, based on any aspect of an individual’s identity. Stop Hate UK provides independent, confidential and accessible reporting and support for victims, witnesses and third parties. 
  • Victim Support. Is the national charity giving free and confidential help to victims of crime, witnesses, their family, friends and anyone else affected. They are not a government agency or part of the police and you don’t have to report a crime to the police to get their help. You can call any time after the crime has happened, whether it was yesterday, last week or several years ago. 
  • Support Line. Provides a confidential telephone helpline offering emotional support to any individual on any issue. The Helpline is primarily a preventative service and aims to support people before they reach the point of crisis. It is particularly aimed at those who are socially isolated, vulnerable, at-risk groups and victims of any form of abuse. 
  • Citizens Advice Bureau. Provide free, confidential and independent advice from over 3,000 locations including in bureaus, GP surgeries, hospitals, colleges, prisons and courts. Advice is available face-to-face and by telephone. Most bureaus offer home visits and some also provide email advice. 
  • CrimeStoppers. If you have information about people who commit hate crimes and do not want to talk to the police, you can contact Crimestoppers anonymously. You do not have to give your name, you will never have to give a statement to police or go to court. 
  • Equality Advisory Support Service. Has a Helpline to give information and guidance on discrimination and human rights issues. The service is free and fully accessible by phone, email, fax, post, video link for those who wish use BSL and has access to advocacy services for those with mental ill health and people with a learning disability.  
Victims of homophobic or transphobic hate crime 
  • Beaumont Society. Is a national self-help body run by and for the transgender community. We welcome all transgender people and their partners, regardless of gender, sexual orientation, race, creed or colour and all varieties from the nervous newcomers to those who are experienced and confident in their preferred gender. 
  • Gallop. Is confidential, independent and based within LGBT + communities. They can help if you experience homophobia, transphobia or biphobia wherever it occurs. Talk to us about insults, intimidation, threats, online abuse or violence targeting you because of your sexual orientation or gender identity. We are confidential, independent and based within LGBT+ communities. 
Victims of religious hate crime 
  • Request to Speak to an adviser on Report + Support. An advisor can talk through the University's procedures, inform you on how to make a complaint and let you know what support is available, in confidence. 
  • Residential Life. If you are a student in University Halls, all of the residences have Residential Assistants living in-house, who are senior students specially selected and trained for these roles. They are available weekday evenings and weekends if you wish to talk things through. 
    e-mail: general.ra@outlook.com 
  •  Your Personal Tutor can support you with your studies and can put you in touch with services that can further support you. 
  • Counselling Service. The University’s team of professional counsellors, psychotherapists and mental health workers offers confidential support. 
  • The Disability Advisory Support Service. The University’s dedicated disability advisors can provide advice, guidance, and support students on a range of practical adjustments to your work or studies. 
  • Mitigating Circumstances. If you feel your studies have been affected by what has happened, you can consider applying for mitigating circumstances.   

Additional support: 


There are two ways you can tell us what happened