We believe that bullying and harassment are never okay. 

Bullying is offensive, intimidating, malicious or insulting behaviour involving the misuse of power that can make a person feel vulnerable, upset, humiliated, undermined or threatened.  

Harassment is when someone intentionally or unintentionally violates a person’s dignity or creates an intimidating, hostile, degrading, humiliating or offensive environment, which interferes with an individual’s learning, working or social environment. 

Harassment may involve sexual harassment or be related to a protected characteristic such as age, disability, gender reassignment, pregnancy or maternity, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation. Find out more about sexual harassment.

Some forms of harassment are considered a Hate Crime.  A hate incident or crime is any act of violence or hostility against a person or property that is motivated by hostility or prejudice towards a person due to a particular protected characteristic. Find out more on hate crime.

We are all responsible for ending bullying, harassment and discrimination in our community and we’re asking you to Think, Talk, Report and Support.  


Are you in immediate danger?
  • If you are in immediate danger or seriously injured, you can call 999 (or 112 from a mobile). If you're deaf or hard of hearing, use our textphone service 18000 or text us on 999 if you’ve pre-registered with the emergency SMS service

Find a safe space

  • If an incident has just happened, try and find somewhere you feel safe. If you feel unsafe and are on campus, please call Security, who will liaise with emergency on +44(0)2079115000 or extension 5555, or alternatively dial 112 from your mobile in an emergency. 


  • Request to Speak to an adviser on Report + Support. An advisor can talk through the University's procedures, inform you on how to make a complaint and let you know what support is available, in confidence. 
  • To a friend. Talking things through with someone you trust can sometimes help. 


  • Report and Support. Students can report an incident using the University’s Report and Support system. You can choose to do this anonymously or you can request support from an advisor. If you choose to talk to an advisor they will be able to talk through the options and support available to you, in confidence. 
  • Reporting to the police. If you’re thinking of reporting sexual misconduct to the police, Rape Crisis have produced a useful list of things to think about. 
  • Report the incident anonymously. You can call crime stoppers at any point on 0800 555 111 or report the incident using this form
  • If on public transport in London. You can report the incident to TFL. 

University Guidance 

  • Please read the attached guidance on reporting the conduct of a student 
Support at the University 

  • Request to Speak to an adviser on Report + Support. An advisor can talk through the University's procedures, inform you on how to make a complaint and let you know what support is available, in confidence. 
  • Residential Life. If you are a student in University Halls, all of the residences have Residential Assistants living in-house, who are senior students specially selected and trained for these roles. They are available weekday evenings and weekends if you wish to talk things through. E-mail: general.ra@outlook.com 
  • Your Personal Tutor can support you with your studies and can put you in touch with services that can further support you. 
  • Counselling Service. The University’s team of professional counsellors, psychotherapists and mental health workers offers confidential support.
  • The Disability Advisory Support Service. The University’s dedicated disability advisors can provide advice, guidance, and support students about a range of practical adjustments to your work or studies.
  • Mitigating Circumstances. If you feel your studies have been affected by what has happened, you can consider applying for mitigating circumstances. 

Mental Health and Wellbeing

Additional Support
  • Family Lives provides some information and advice on bullying at Universities
  • Citizens Advice provides some information on bullying and harassment
  • The Student’s Union Advice Service can help you understand the University procedures and think about how you wish to respond to your situation 
  • Young Minds has put together a blog on how to deal with bullying at University
  • LGBT Foundation has a number of groups covering a wide section of the LGBT community. They provide a safe and comfortable environment for people who may feel isolated, are coming out or are new to the area.


There are two ways you can tell us what happened